Last Updated on Sunday, 23 November 2008 15:25 Sunday, 23 November 2008 15:14
HONG KONG - Five-time major winner Seve Ballesteros is recovering well from surgery to remove a malignant brain tumour and doctors are upbeat about his progress, his Spanish compatriot and Ryder Cup teammate Jose Maria Olazabal said Sunday.
The 51-year-old Spanish golf great underwent a 6 1/2-hour operation on Oct. 24 to remove the brain tumour and reduce swelling around the brain.
He was admitted on Oct. 6 after fainting at Madrid's international airport. He was released from intensive care on Tuesday.
Olazabal, speaking on the sidelines of the Hong Kong Open, said he has been in touch with Ballesteros' relatives and that they and doctors are positive about his recovery.
"Everybody seems to be really optimistic. Even the doctors are saying that Seve's improvement has been fantastic so far," he said.
"He will still have to get stronger, but he's doing fine," Olazabal said.
Ballesteros and 42-year-old Olazabal, a two-time U.S. Masters champion, teamed up to produce a formidable Ryder Cup partnership, with an 11-2-2 record.