Last Updated on Sunday, 27 May 2012 11:45
Sunday, 27 May 2012 11:21
The Golf Channel is reporting that Australian golf legend Greg Norman will not return as the International Team Captain for the next Presidents Cup after two consecutive defeats at the hands of the Fred Couples led Americans.
Saying that, "Fred Couples will get a third chance to be Presidents Cup captain next year, but Greg Norman will be on the outside looking in," sources close to the Presidents Cup related that Couples will return to lead the U.S. team in the biennial matches and Nick Price of Zimbabwe will captain the International team in 2013 at Muirfield Village Golf Club in Dublin, Ohio.
The announcement is expected Tuesday at Muirfield Village, site of the Memorial Tournament next week.
Speculation had centered on Price, 55, being appointed International captain even before the Internationals lost to the United States 19-15 last year in Melbourne, Australia.
Price's 50 professional victories include 18 on the PGA Tour, notably two PGA Championships (1992, '94) and an Open Championship (1994).
Couples, 52, who holds the 1992 Masters title among his 15 PGA Tour victories, said this past week during the Senior PGA Championship, that he last spoke with commissioner Tim Finchem in February regarding the captaincy.
Greg Norman earlier said in March that he had held no discussions with the tour since a de facto exit interview after losing the Presidents Cup in November in his native Australia.
Unfortunately For Greg Norman, This Would Appear To Be As Close As He'll Get To Putting His Hands On The Presidents Cup Trophy As Captain Of The International Team
Norman confirmed via a text message to Golweek senior writer Alex Micelithat that, as of Friday, he had not had a discussion with Finchem or other tour representatives about returning to lead the Internationals.
Both Norman and South Africa's Ernie Els had lobbied for changes to the Presidents Cup wanting to have more than two captain's picks and to open Thursday's morning session with fourballs instead of foursomes, a format in which the Internationals have struggled. It is unclear whether those proposals will be adopted next year.
“There’s change coming, and it’s because of him,” Els said. “I feel Greg should get the benefit of these changes.”
Regardless, Price's selection would appear to be the logical one. As for Couples? After successful campaigns at Harding Park and then Royal Melbourne, Couples resonates with the U.S. players because of his easygoing demeanor. To a man, they want Couples to return for a third go-round.
Norman confirmed in his contact with Golfweek's Miceli that he had no dispute with the picks.
“If that is the case then two good captains,” Norman said via text of the selection of Couples and Price.
David Abell, Price's agent, told Golfweek that his client's selection was news to him and that Price was on vacation with his family until Wednesday and could not be reached for comment.
Couples confirmed he would play the Memorial this week but was unaware of his selection or a news conference. Couples said he would attend and participate in a clinic because tournament host Jack Nicklaus invited him.
By Inside Golf Editors
More articles by Inside Golf Editors