National: What's New

Bae Loses Court Battle, Faces Mandatory Military Service

Last Updated on Thursday, 23 July 2015 05:27 Thursday, 23 July 2015 05:20

Sang-Moon BaeCanadian Press

OAKVILLE, Ontario (AP) — Bae Sang-Moon said he plans to play the rest of the PGA Tour season before submitting to his mandatory military service in South Korea.

Bae was denied an extension of his visa at the start of the year and challenged it in court. Yonhap news service said Bae lost his legal battle to have his mandatory service deferred. The debate was whether Bae had spent enough time out of South Korea last year.

“I completely respect the court’s decision, and I humbly accept the judgment by the law,” he told Yonhap. “I am sorry to those who have supported me, including all my fans and South Koreans, for causing anxiety.”

Read more...

   

Golf Halfway Through Year: Turnover at Warp Speed

Last Updated on Monday, 06 July 2015 03:38 Sunday, 05 July 2015 21:57

Jordan SpiethCanadian Press

(Doug Ferguson/AP) — The No. 1 player in golf already has three wins in 2015, including a World Golf Championship, and he has finished in the top 10 at both majors.

Halfway through the year, however, Rory McIlroy is playing second fiddle.

Remember the hype over McIlroy going for the career Grand Slam at the Masters? That was three months ago, and it seems like a lot longer. The attention has shifted to Jordan Spieth and his bid for an unprecedented sweep of the four majors in the same year. The real Grand Slam.

Arnold Palmer created it. Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods pursued it.

And now it falls to a 21-year-old Texan who just three years ago wasn’t even a full PGA Tour member.

Read more...

   

Brooke Henderson Withdraws from Pan Am Games Golf Competition

Last Updated on Tuesday, 30 June 2015 22:46 Tuesday, 30 June 2015 22:44

Brooke HendersonTORONTO, Ontario — Golf Canada regrets to announce that Brooke Henderson of Smiths Falls, Ont. has withdrawn from the TORONTO 2015 Pan American Games golf competition.

Read more...

   

Contract Extension for PGA of Canada CEO Gary Bernard

Last Updated on Tuesday, 30 June 2015 22:35 Tuesday, 30 June 2015 22:27

Gary BernardThe PGA of Canada’s Board of Directors has approved a contract extension for Chief Executive Officer Gary Bernard until 2019.

The 58-year-old Bernard has been CEO of the PGA of Canada since 2010.

“On behalf of the National Board of Directors’ of the PGA of Canada, I am thrilled to announce we have reached an agreement with Gary Bernard to continue in his role as Chief Executive Officer until the year 2019,” said PGA of Canada President Constant Priondolo. “Gary became CEO during the global economic downturn but has managed to positively navigate the association by maintaining strong membership numbers, posting positive financial results and by building a young, energetic and passionate team at the national headquarters.”

Read more...

   

Golf’s Peter Oosterhuis Says He Has Early Onset Alzheimer’s

Last Updated on Tuesday, 30 June 2015 22:21 Tuesday, 30 June 2015 22:15

Peter OosterhuisCanadian Press

Former British golfer and CBS analyst Peter Oosterhuis says he has early onset Alzheimer’s disease.

The 67-year-old Oosterhuis went public with the news in Golf World’s digital magazine with hopes it can bring attention and raise money toward finding a cure.

Oosterhuis is a six-time Ryder Cup player from England who became part of the golf broadcast team for CBS Sports. He announced in January he was stepping away from television work.

Read more...

   

Page 1 of 144