British Columbia Golf Joins R&A Supporting Women In Golf Charter Initiative
- Category: Inside Golf
- Published: 2019-04-01
The R&A unveiled a new Women in Golf Charter on May 29th, 2018 in London as part of the organization’s global drive to increase the number of women and girls participating in golf and to encourage more opportunities for women to work within the golf industry.
Adoption of the Charter requires national associations and other golf bodies to build on and develop initiatives which will focus on encouraging more women and girls to play golf and stay within the sport as members of clubs, while also empowering women to enjoy successful careers working within the golf industry.
As part of this movement, British Columbia Golf has followed along with Golf Canada adopting the charter and producing a pledge of support which can be seen below.
In conjunction with this we very much encourage our British Columbia Golf Member Clubs to join in producing a pledge of initiatives of their own and become a part of the movement toward achieving success in this worldwide vision in both welcoming and helping women of all ages to enjoy and prosper within the game of golf.
British Columbia Golf fully supports inclusiveness and is proud to support the Women in Golf Charter as led by the R&A
Our targets as a charter signatory in 2019 are the following:
- Support Golf Canada in reaching their targets as a signatory.
- Provide the opportunity for women golfers in British Columbia to affiliate with and support the LPGA Amateur Golf Association and LPGA Women’s Network
- Actively market #inviteHer on all British Columbia Golf digital and social media platforms.
- Commit to providing equal and balanced media coverage of women and girls in competitive and recreational golf.
- Embrace International Women’s Golf Day on June 4th, 2019.
- Solicit and encourage all British Columbia Member Clubs to support and embrace International Women’s Golf Day on June 4th, 2019.
- Celebrate and promote the Astor Cup a quadrennial women’s team competition between New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Great Britain / Ireland and Canada. The Astor Cup will take place August 26th through September 1st, 2019 at Royal Colwood.
"The Women in Golf Charter is intended to inspire an industry–wide commitment to developing a more inclusive culture within golf around the world and enable more women and girls to flourish and maximize their potential at all levels of the sport."
British Columbia Golf fully supports that ideal.
On behalf of the Board
British Columbia Golf
Golf Canada is proud to sign and support the Women’s Golf Charter led by the R&A
Our targets as a charter signatory are the following:
- To launch a Women’s Leadership Summit as part of our 2018 Canadian Pacific Women’s Open.
- To increase training and professional development opportunities and facilitate a pipeline of female members to Golf Canada’s Senior Leadership and Executive Teams.
- In the spirit of volunteerism and governance, to recruit more female business and sport leaders for consideration to join Golf Canada’s Committees and Board of Directors.
- To deliver on Golf Canada’s Diversity, Accessibility and Inclusiveness Policy by executing and implementing programs nationwide.
Women in Golf Charter - Signatories (R&A website)